Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Does My Head Look Big In This?

I received an ARC of this book, and I am not sure what to think of it. I am thrilled to see a YA novel delving into religion. I am especially happy to see a book that shows how a Muslim teen deals with other people's misguided perceptions of her religion. What I am not sold on, nevertheless, is the dialogue. So much of it seems forced. I showed this book to a (Muslim) YA patron the other day, and she agreed. She said that she has had multiple conversations with friends about the possibility of wearing the hijab -- "None of my conversations with friends sounded anything like that!" It could just be the fact that the book takes place in Australia and we live in the US. Maybe teens really do talk significantly differently in Australia than they do here; I can't say for sure. Since I am reading an uncorrected proof, I am not even sure that the editors don't plan on "fixing" some of it. What I can say with certainty, though, is that this book is a great starting point for teens who want to learn more about Muslim culture. -Hestia

No comments:

Post a Comment