Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Skinny by Ibi Kaslik

While I thought that this book was very well written, a part of me wishes I never read it. Every time I begin to worry the least little bit about gaining or losing weight, I think of Giselle -- the 22-year-old, 1st year med student whose annorexia is taking over/ruining her life. In Giselle's warped mind, even a single bite of food is too much. Because she felt so out of control of her life, Giselle turned to annorexia to achieve feelings of power and discipline. This story is told from the alternating perspectives of Giselle and her eighth-grade sister, Holly. Medical terms and definitions are included, in Giselle's chapters, to make readers more aware of the symptoms and problems associated with this eating disorder. A must-read for teen girls or anyone who works with teens. -- Hestia

No comments:

Post a Comment