Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Psyche in a Dress by Francesca Lia Block


This is a short haunting book full of sensual imagery and exquisite diction. The first book I have ever read by Francesca Lia Block, Psyche in a Dress is perfect for mature teens who may also be dreamers, poets, artists, mystics, etc. This book is not for those in search of plot; although, the plots of several classic myths lie buried beneath Block’s prose. As I read, shifting perspectives caused confusion; but, then I’d get caught by a distinctive image or phrase. Some chapters are enticing, others should have been edited. I would have liked more specific details about the modern lives of Psyche, Echo, Persephone – just a few of the goddesses/gods described in the book. Overall, Psyche in a Dress is a quick and dreamlike read – perfect for those who enjoy fantasy, magic, love, and poetry.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'd contact you in a more formal way but I wasn't sure how. I've just gotten a YA novel published and I was wondering if there's a way I can talk to a blogger here about it to see if anyone would be interested in receiving a copy to look over? (Also, thank you for blogging about this Francesca Lia Block book! I love her, and Weetzie Bat.) If anyone's interested in talking further, my email is ami_manenk@yahoo.com. Thank you!
    My book is called A House Afire and it's about a teenage girl who can, well, breathe fire. Just to give you an idea.

    ReplyDelete